Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chp. 8 Organize for Daily Writing

I found a lot of great tips and ideas to implement from reading this chapter. I know that I need to continue to model writing in front of the students and have more conversations about writing ( I really like the "turn and talk" idea) in order for their writing to continue to improve. Sometimes I am so anxious to get them writing that it is tempting to forget these important pieces.

I also liked what Regie says on p. 197 about writing short pieces as well as the guideline to publish at least one piece of writing a month. I have recently been doing poetry with my students for National Poetry Month. They have really enjoyed learning the different ways to write poetry. I also know that a few of them have been able to write several poems a day because they can complete one fairly quickly because it is a shorter piece of writing. Even the struggling writers have found success in writing poetry. The list of short writing projects on p. 198 will come in handy when planning .

Another idea that I can't wait to try at the beginning of next school year is the Snapshot writing that was discussed on p. 199-200. What a great way to get to know your new students, as well as an automatic bulletin board for your classroom! I also think this would be fun to do as a staff to put up at the front of the building for the students and their parents to see.

A lot of great ideas to try to get the students engaged in writing in this chp.

1 comment:

Bernetta said...

I liked the snapshot writing idea too. I think that would be a great idea to start the year. I will also put a copy of the students' writing in a booklet form for any new students that may join the class.