Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chp. 10 Make Assessment Count

"There is lots of writing assessment going on these days, but little of it actually improves the quality of students' writing," p. 238, was such a powerful sentence to start out this chapter, it made me want to read on.

Here are a few things I have highlighted in this chapter that I either agree with or am going to try in my classroom:

p.239-"Looking at students' writing over time, for purposeful communication to real audiences, is far more valid."

"Placing students on a writing continuum has the potential to be helpful or a waster of time, based on teachers' knowledge." We are still trying to decide if the continuum we use is beneficial. I believe that it would be more beneficial to implement the suggestion found on p. 249, which is to take a sample of writing from each student at the beginning and end of every school year, with the same prompt. Wouldn't this be cool to see the growth over time? I believe that the students and teachers would both learn much more from that than we do from the continuum.

p.243-"It is not advisable to apply rubrics to all writing nor to score all writing." Thank you, Regie! This is an area where we have had discussion on as well, so I think we will feel a little more at ease and be able to focus more on creating good writers. Tom Newkirk's wise thought was quite appropriate, "It's not what the writing has- it's what the writing does."

p. 247- I thought the idea on helping the students visualize the reader/rater/scorer was excellent too, especially for those grades that are giving state writing assessments.

p. 250-It is nice to showcase a collection of student work to show improvement over time for individual students, but the idea on this page was to showcase longitudinal displays for Pre-K- 3rd gr. in our bldg. That would be such a fun display to be enjoyed by all.

p.252- Grading was addressed on this page, which stated 80% of student writing shouldn't be graded and that we need to do more with informal assessments and self-evaluations. I do believe that self-evaluation is a wonderful piece of assessing writing, but for some reason I haven't had my 3rd gr. students do this even though I had done this previously when I taught 6th graders. One more thing that I want to try with my class before the end of the year and then continue this at least once every 9 wks. in a school year.

No comments: