Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chp. 7 Be Efficient and Integrate Basic Skills

I also agree with Regie when she said, "We've been overfocused on standards, rubrics..." on p. 141. I know that I have always wondered what was the best way to teach writing as well as engaging the students at the same time. The more that I read this book and have been to Tamara's Writing Workshops at ESSDACK this school year, I am feeling more comfortable in the way that I am incorporating writing into my curriculum without just focusing on a specific trait and teaching from whole-part-whole. My students and I are now excited to write everyday!

Voice- "Voiceless writing is like soup with no seasoning," p. 147. I agree with this quote, but I do find voice to be one of the more challenging traits to perfect with students. It does tend to be more evident when a student is writing on a topic that they are really engaged in, and I believe that many of my students are making progress as we continue to write. As a teacher, I need to do a better job of when we are celebrating writing to point out voice when I hear it, as well as pointing it out during our class read aloud and reading groups.

Revising-The pages on revision were helpful, but it is something that is still very difficult for my 3rd graders to do on their own. They seem to be able to revise with me during shared writing, but it hasn't carried over to their own writing as much yet (looks like we need to continue to focus on this during our shared writing time as well as me modeling revising my own writing in front of them). They still believe after they reread it that it is just perfect!

I also liked the list of Proven Strategies for Writers Who Struggle on pgs. 169-172.




2 comments:

Nancy said...

I know I don't do a good enough job teaching voice. I should be more aware of it in everything we read so that I can point it out to my students. Good point, Stephanie!

Bernetta said...

I think voice is one of the most developmental traits. It seems that some kids get it quicker than others. I have noticed with my class that through sharing, some kids hear me praise others about word choice and voice and therefore they take a risk and try to do more creative word choice and voice themselves.