Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chp.6- Reading-Writing Connection

I also agreed with Regie on the importance of the reading and writing connection and how integrating them can result in higher test scores. After reading this chapter, I knew I had to try to get my schedule changed so that my two students that left every day during writing time for intensive reading assistance would no longer have to miss out. I'm proud to announce that my mission is accomplished! Even though we do write at other times in our day, they were missing out on some specific writing skills.

The written response to reading ideas on p. 125 were also helpful. I can see how the students
writing book blurbs and placing them in the room somewhere would benefit both the reader and the writer. I would like to try this. The students really do value their peers opinions.

Oh, I also enjoyed Gary Paulsen's simile, "Read like a wolf eats..." My students would love this since they are always listening for similes as we ready orally.

Another good chapter!

3 comments:

K Styes said...

Great news about getting your schedue changed to keep your students in your room during writing instruction. Routman says, "we make time for what's important." Looks like you knew what's important AND got others to change - not an easy task!

Brenda Dunning said...

Stephanie,

I too see the benefit in writing book reviews. If we incorporated technology I think the students would really love it. I think it would be a great way to teach concise writing or summarizing.

Tammy Gilley said...

I tried the book reviews. It was very easy to implement this as a reading/writing activity after we finished our novel. The students seemed to like doing them especially when I allowed them to find pictures of the book online and use the computers. You could have students do that at one of their centers, during reading time.